Comprehensive Assessment of the Product Lifecycle from Raw Materials to Disposal
TDK’s product assessment is broadly divided into restricted chemical substances, effective use of resources, and energy conservation. In the concept and planning phase, the product is assessed in each of its life stages. For example:
- Materials:Green procurement is conducted to avoid the use of restricted substances.
- Manufacturing:Energy consumption during manufacturing is reduced and only components that do not contain restricted substances are used.
- Distribution:Energy and resources used in distribution are reduced.
- Use:Measures are taken to reduce energy consumption when products are mounted in customer devices and actually used.
- Disposal:Product structures are designed so materials can be recycled and reused and chemical substances properly processed when the product reaches the end of its useful life and is discarded.
TDK develops and designs products with minimal environmental impact by comprehensively assessing all of these life stages. In 2004, TDK established a product assessment system that assesses new products using scores. In 2008, TDK began certifying products whose scores reach a certain level as Eco Love products and products with even higher scores and that boast industry-leading technology, functions, configurations, and so on as Super Eco Love products.