Measurement tips for high capacitance MLCCs (Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors) (6): What should I do if the capacitance measurement results are outside of the specifications on the low side?
- Capacitors >
- Multilayer Ceramic Chip Capacitors
- Confirm that the cap meter's voltage and frequency settings are correct (See Table 1 unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer).
- Test the capacitor with a voltmeter in conjunction with the cap meter in order to determine if the actual voltage at the component meets the 1.0 ± 0.2 Vrms requirement.
- If the instrument has the ALC or equivalent function, make sure that it is on.
- Refer to the cap meter's manual to determine what impedance settings are possible and if the meter is capable of automatically switching the settings to compensate for the impedance of the capacitor.
|C ≤ 1000pF||1.0 ± 0.2 Vrms||1MHz ± 10%|
|1000pF < C ≤ 10μF||1.0 ± 0.2 Vrms||1kHz ± 10%|
|C > 10μF||0.5 ± 0.2 Vrms||120 Hz ± 10%|
Table 1: Measurement Conditions per TDK general specification.